Pick n Pay and FoodForward SA partner to deliver 2 million meals for Mandela Day Food Drive
Pick n Pay and FoodForward SA have launched their third annual Mandela Day Food Drive and invite all South Africans to contribute towards the ambitious goal of collecting 500 tonnes of food – enough to produce two million meals.
The FoodForward SA Mandela Day Food Drive in partnership with Pick n Pay is one of the largest national food drives in South Africa, providing much-needed basic food items to vulnerable communities.
Last year 151 tonnes of food was collected and 130 tonnes were collected in its inaugural campaign in 2017 – together, this equates to more than 1.1 million meals donated to beneficiaries in need.
The food collected in the Mandela Day Food Drive supports the 530 beneficiary organisations in FoodForward SA’s national distribution network.
This is how South Africans can get involved:
- Take part in the national 2019 Mandela Day Food Drive from 24 June – 14 July 2019 in any participating Pick n Pay store:
- Purchase a non-perishable item and drop it into the branded collection trolley;
- Make a cash donation at the till point;
- Volunteer 67 minutes ahead of Mandela Day to help with the Collection Weekend efforts in-store from 12 – 14 July. Contact your nearest store for more information.
- Donate your Smart Shopper points to FoodForward SA by selecting "Donate points to charity" on the app or at the kiosk in-store and selecting FoodForward SA as the beneficiary.
- Packing event on Mandela Day, 18 July: Take part in one of the nationwide packing events to sort donated groceries into food parcels. There are four 67-minute shifts starting at 9 am, at each of six venues across the country. Book your 67-minute slot on Webtickets.
Written by: Staff Writer.