Apple launches new Watch Series 5
Apple unveiled it's new Apple Watch Series 5 smartwatch.
The new watch features always-on retina display powered by low-temperature polysilicon and oxide display (LTPO), an ultra-low power display driver, efficient power management integrated circuit, and a new ambient light sensor.
According to Apple, the device will offer 18-hour battery life, a built-in compass, integrated into the updated Maps app and can be added to your watch face to view your direction at a glance.
The Apple Watch 5 series will run watchOS 6, and offers a variety of new health features including:
- Cycle Tracking – Allowing women to log and track their menstrual cycles.
- Noise App – Helping users to understand the ambient sound levels around them and warning them if noise levels could negatively impact their hearing.
- Activity Trends – Providing a long-term view of your activity and helping you to understand how you are progressing
- Compass app - Will display and track heading, incline, latitude, longitude, and elevation.
Apple has also added new safety features such as its updated emergency SOS detail which offers international emergency calling in over 150 countries and has a fall detection feature, that if enabled, it will automatically place an emergency call if you take a fall and remain motionless for a minute.
The Apple Watch 5 will come in a variety of colours and materials:
- Aluminium – Silver, Gold, and Space Grey
- Stainless steel – Gold, Space Black, and Polished.
- Titanium – Natural and Space Black
- Ceramic – White
The Apple Watch Series 5 will arrive in stores from the 20th of September.
Written by: Gabriella Steyn.